Adventures in an empty corner

Birding musings and ramblings around South-east Cornwall - the empty corner of the county.

Monday 2 January 2012

Forgive me for I have sinned!

I went and twitched a bird today.

I'm not adverse to a bit of twitching but I tend to be very selective about what I go to see. There is no real rhyme or reason about what I twitch, and it doesn't have to be a particularly rare bird. I'm not keen on crowds, though I do enjoy the banter with a few mates when I get there.

Today was just right, a nice Ring-necked Duck at Par. It's outside the empty corner- but only just, and with a Little Gull present as well it would make a nice excursion.

There's not really a lot more to say. I went to the pool, both birds were there, I took some photos and then came home. There was no stakeout, no fieldcraft was involved. There were no crowds, though there were quite a few birders coming and going (most of whom I didn't know)

The bird spent most of its time in the middle of the pool with a small group of Tufted Duck. It was way out of range of most lenses so I busied myself trying to take pleasing photos of the usual assortment of birds waiting for goodies at the feeding area.





I noticed that once the feeding area was clear of people the Tutfed/Ring-necked group would swim closer to shore so by waiting and waiting I managed to get a couple of passable record shots.



The Little Gull was a bugger though and constantly stayed just out of range. Ah well, there's always the chance of one at Millbrook I suppose.

1 comment:

  1. What a delightful blog. The photos are great.
    Gene...birdwatching-birds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete